Seared Scallops with Garlic & Asparagus Purée
12 Qualicum Bay Scallops
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
2 Cups Fresh or Frozen Asparagus - chopped
1/4 Cup White Wine
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
4 Cloves Garlic - sliced
2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley - chopped
Cracked Black Pepper
* Remove the abductor muscle from the scallops (small hard piece along the edge) by sliding a small paring knife or your fingers under the edge and gently pulling it away. Sprinkle the scallops with sea salt, and then set them aside while you make the asparagus purée.
* Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and toss in the garlic and asparagus. Cook until tender, about 2 min.
* Strain the asparagus and garlic, and then immediately submerge them into ice water, to keep the colour dark green and to halt the cooking process.
* Blend together the white wine, heavy cream, parsley and cooked asparagus and garlic using a high setting on your blender until the mixture is smooth.
* Heat a large skillet to high - skillet is ready when a drop of water sizzles and spits when added to the pan.
* Add olive oil to the hot skillet, and then gently place each scallop into the pan.
* Allow scallops to sear for about 2 minutes, do not move it around, it will be easier to remove once it has developed its golden brown crust.
* Gently turn each scallop over and sear for another minute. Serve on top of the asparagus purée, and add sprinkled parsley and cracked black pepper. Enjoy!