Nick's Baked Halibut in Vindaloo Gravy - STAFF RECIPE
4 x 200g portions BC Halibut Fillets
1 jar Pataks Vindaloo Paste
1 Onion - diced
4 cloves Garlic - crushed
1” Ginger Root – crushed
1 Tbsp Butter
1 can Crushed Tomato
1 can Coconut Milk
1 Roasted Red Pepper - chopped
1 cup Wine Vinegar
2 Kaffir Lime Leaves
1 cup Cilantro - chopped
1 cup Plain Yoghurt
1 Lime – cut into wedges
Salt and Pepper to taste
Crushed Chili Flakes (optional – to taste)
• Fry diced onion, garlic, ginger and 6 tablespoons of Pataks curry paste in butter until fragrant and soft.
• Add tomatoes, coconut milk, wine vinegar, lime leaves, and chopped roasted red pepper and bring to a simmer. Check seasoning and add salt, pepper, extra curry or extra chili pepper to your personal preference. Vindaloo should have a pronounced hot and sour flavor profile.
• Cook for 45 minutes. You can use a hand blender to puree sauce for a smoother finished consistency, if you prefer.
• Place fillets of halibut into a greased, deep oven dish and cover with the vindaloo sauce and bake uncovered, in a hot (400F) oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until fish is fully cooked.
• Serve with steamed jasmine rice, and garnish with chopped cilantro, plain yoghurt and a wedge of lime.