Fresh BC Cioppino
1 lb. Fresh Halibut or Sablefish – skinless & boneless
(or use Lingcod or Rockfish - any white fish is great)
1 lb. Mussels
1 lb. Scallops (use clams if you prefer)
1 lb. Side Stripe Shrimp
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 Cup Diced Onion
1/2 Cup Diced Fennel
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
3 oz. (90ml) Pernod
One Can Crushed tomatoes
4 Cups (1L) of Fish Stock
1/4 Cup Chopped Tarragon
1/4 Cup Chopped Basil
1/4 Cup Chopped Italian Parsley
2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp Crushed Chili Flakes (optional)
* In the oil, sauté the onion and fennel in a large frying pan over medium heat until they are
soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for mixture for 1 minute.
* Then add the Pernod and flambé it. The best way to flambé is to take the pot off the heat,
splash the Pernod over the onion mixture, and then light it with a barbecue lighter. Once
the flame burns itself out, return to heat.
* Add the crushed tomatoes and the fish stock and simmer the mixture for the 10 minutes.
* Stir in the fresh herbs, salt, and chili flakes and allow to cook for another 2 minutes.
* Gently add the seafood to the pot, and simmer for another 5-8 minutes.
* Serve with your favourite crusty bread for dipping in the broth, and enjoy!